What is Sports Chiropractic?
Sports Chiropractic helps enhance physically active Australians and athletes who are seeking Chiropractic solutions that integrate a multi-modal approach to managing neuro-musculoskeletal conditions. Sports Chiropractors aim to incorporate components of passive and active care to address both the acute immediate need of the athlete, as well as the correction and rehabilitation of chronic injuries. The ultimate goal of Sports Chiropractic at Motion Health Centre in the Sydney CBD is to assist in the acquisition of maximized athletic performance and superior injury management and prevention.
Sports Chiropractors give consideration to:
- The spinal joints and joints of the upper and lower limb
- Hard and soft connective tissues (muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia, etc).
- Movement analysis throughout the kinematic chain
- Sport specific movement requirements and rehabilitation
- A large body of clinical information specific to the diagnosis and management of sports injuries
- The application of the highest quality chiropractic management
- Integration and cooperation with coaches, personal trainers and other sports healthcare team members.
SCA YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK
Our Chiropractors have gained extended postgraduate qualifications in Sports Chiropractic and additional techniques that assist in the management and rehabilitation of sports conditions. Dr. Michael J Egan became an Internationally Certified Chiropractic Sports Practitioner (ICCSP) with FICS (International Federation of Sports Chiropractic) in 2011 and is a member of Sports Chiropractic Australia and Sports Medicine Australia. Dr. Stephen Lee has recently embarked on the program ICCSP program in 2014. As well as continually stay up to date with current best practice principles and research. Dr. Egan has a special interest in running performance, throwing and shoulder sports and injuries related to each. Dr. Lee has a special interest in Volleyball and jumping sports performance injuries and all other sport and fitness training in general. Additionally, Dr. Egan and Dr. Lee have both completed honours degrees in exercise and movement science prior to studying Chiropractic, as well have both competed at the varsity level at their respective universities in Canada.
Sports Chiropractic Techniques
Techniques used at Motion Health Centre include:
- Specific adjustments for the spine and extremities
- Trigenics Functional Muscle Neurology
- Soft tissue therapies (active muscle release and myofascial release)
- Instrument assisted soft tissue tools (guasha, jade, stainless steel)
- Kinesiology Tape (Kinesiotape/RockTape)
- Dry needling
- Rehabilitation and movement based exercise
- Sports specific advice
- Enhanced Running Technique
Motion Health Centre Sports Care Approach
In addressing any acute or chronic sporting injury, our first approach is to properly examine for any serious orthopedic causes of pain or dysfunction and manage appropriately. But, at the cornerstone of taking care of athletes and fitness enthusiasts is our 3 Pillar Motion Health Assessment approach. This is more concerned with your movement and function in nature in order to get to the cause of any chronic injuries as opposed to a band aid approach to taking care of just symptoms. The aim of the assessment is to also determine a baseline for whichtraining outcomes and sports performance can be improved. The Pillars of Physical Motion Health are:
- Align Your Motion – Complete whole body joint function
- Re-set Your Motion – Optimal muscle function balance
- Activate Your Motion – Advanced exercise/rehab drills with full strength and movement